Just got a Pentax Asahi Takumar 50mm 1.4 SMC! Awesome lens!

Started Mar 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
New MemberPosts: 1
Re: re: a question - Takumar 50mm f/1.4 - adapter problems (aperture and focus get stuck)
In reply to tallshorty, 4 months ago

Hi there,

I just got a Takumar 50mm f/1.4, and it didn't screw neatly onto my Canon 600D (using my M42 adapter). Resulted in the aperture getting stuck while on the adapter, on the camera. And couldn't even turn the focus ring.

By the looks of it, my M42 adapter has a little "ledge" that juts out, and it hits parts of the lens.  The problem is, for some reason, the aperture lever thing on the Tak 50 hits the adapter itself, getting "squashed" on it.  And the focus ring on the Tak 50 causes the lens to actually push out of the back of the lens a bit, further hitting the adapter, therefore not being able to move it.

I see now that you can also buy M42 adapters without that little ledge, so I've ordered one of them, which I think should work fine.

Here's an image of the M42 adapter I have already...  See that it has a ledge to depress the aperture pin, which you probably want on most lenses (I've tried about 6 others which all work perfectly).  In fact, it may be essential for any lens you try to use on a Canon 600D, for example, if the lens itself doesn't have an A/M switch, because the aperture blades may not close down without it holding that aperture pin in.  But the Takumar 50mm f/1.4 will conflict with it!

I've ordered this one (without the "ledge") for my Takumar 50mm f/1.4, because I can use the A/M switch on the lens itself.Just look up M42 - EOS adapters on eBay, and pick one of the ones without the ledge.  

Hope that helps other people out who may be having a problem.

- Murray

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow