What free software can convert AVCHD video

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ThrillaMozilla
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?
Re: What free Linux software can convert AVCHD video?
In reply to eques, 2 months ago

eques wrote:

Could you recommend one from your experience? I am specially interested in an easy to use (and learn) converter for Linux. For unexperienced users like me, choice is very difficult.

Simple.

avconv -i infilename.MTS -c:a copy -c:v copy outfilename.mp4

Or for batch conversion of a whole directory of files:

for i in *.MTS; do avconv -i $i -c:a copy -c:v copy $i.mp4; done;

This will convert an hour of high-def video in around 5 minutes or so, more or less. It rewraps it in an mp4 file without transcoding. Alternatively, you could convert to an open-source Matroska file. Just specify outfile.mkv instead of outfile.mp4. You can also use ffmpeg if you have that instead of avconv. I think the syntax is identical, but you never know. Sometimes they just like to rearrange the furniture.

The only drawback is, I don't guarantee that you won't have some sound synchronization problems. If you don't and that's what you want, look no further.  You won't do any better.

Otherwise, use Handbrake. Excellent program on Linux, Windows, or Mac, but it transcodes everything.  Definitely use Handbrake.

Good luck finding an editor. Unfortunately, I haven't found one that I can unconditionally recommend. OpenShot is probably the most popular Linux editor right now.  Easy to use if you read the directions, and if it works for you, you're in luck.  In case of difficulty with any editor, you may have better luck if you run it through Handbrake first.  Did I mention that you should try Handbrake?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow