Epson 3880 Photo Black/ Matte Black nozzle not working

Started May 9, 2013 | Questions thread
Flair
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Re: Epson 3880 Photo Black/ Matte Black nozzle not working
In reply to jbridges, 1 month ago

I have just had this problem on TWO EPSON 3880s. First there were black ink smears on the paper.  Then the Photo black stopped working i.e. ink prints coming out with no blacks.  Other symptoms included maintenance cartridge filled up with black ink, and nozzle cleaning doesn't help.  The folks at TEK said that it means that the switch valve is broken, and the photo black ink is dumping directly to the maintenance cartridge.   Since this is happening internally, you can't tell that the photo black cartridge is actually empty (rather than a clogged head).  So head cleaning wont help bc the problem is that all the ink has actually leaked out.  You can replace the cartridge, but will likely dump ink again.  Fixing the valve costs around $500 out of warranty.   So I gave away the first 3880 and bought a new one.  Same problem after two months!  Seems to be related to the switch of inks from matte to photo black and back.  Do Canon printers have these problems?  Thinking of going from EPSON to Canon...

Flair's gear list:Flair's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Pentax 645Z
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow