Hummingbird Moth!

Started May 10, 2015 | Discussions thread
GeorgianBay1939
GeorgianBay1939 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,044
Re: Hummingbird Moth!

earthseaimagery wrote:

Thanks for the info Tom,

I think you are correct in the ID. I was at a loss, not knowing a thing about these until a few days ago! We have a big row of the Black Currant bushes, all in bloom now, and this is where we've seen them. I doubt I could have caught this with my Canon 7d or the SX50 my wife uses. The FZ1000 is continuing to really impress me.

Now, I think I'm going to have to try the 4k video for stills, once I figure it out. We have several cloudy/rainy days coming, so I probably won't get a chance soon though. Any thoughts on shutter speed to stop the wings?

Yeah, once you get started on Hummingbird Moths it leads to fascinating stuff!   Same as other subjects worth photographing I guess.

Last July I shot Hummingbird Clearwing Moths from my moveable blind (my truck) with a 100-300 mm lens on my GH4 giving me 600mm EFL, 1/5000sec, wide open (f/5.6) at ISO800 using EC of -2/3 in sunshine.

Some examples of that setting:

Sometimes, when its legs are firmly on the flower the wing speed seems to decrease, but most of the time you need a short shutter interval.

My strategy is to increase the ISO to 800, open f/ to max, drop EC (I shoot raw so I can increase brightness in post processing) to get maximum shutter speed.

So I'll be shooting the FZ1000 from the parked truck (to give me cover), close as possible, EFL 400mm, f/4, ISO 800, bracket (-2/3, 0, +2/3 EC) shutter speed, small area focus.  IF I can figure 4K out on both the camera and computer, I'd like to try some video.  Maybe even some high speed!  The patch of milkweeds that these moths visit is also visited by Monarchs and other beasties so there'll lots of photo ops.

Lots of new tricks for this old dog to learn!!

t

-- hide signature --

Tom
The best part of growing old is having the opportunity to do so.

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow