Hummingbird Moth!

Started May 10, 2015 | Discussions thread
GeorgianBay1939
GeorgianBay1939 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,044
Re: Hummingbird Moth!

earthseaimagery wrote:

This one is new to me and a tough catch, as it moves around flower to flower very quickly and hovers much like a hummingbird, same sound, same quick moves. My wife first saw it a few days ago, I'd never heard of such a thing. Finally, yesterday I saw it, but never got a chance to take a photo. I've been trying most all day and finally got lucky!

The flowers, black currant, are about 5/8" across the the moth must be a bit over 2" long. The shot of it's back was at 1/1000 and the side view at 1/3200 of a second, note the blurred wings, yikes! Note also, the really long proboscis!

Those are great shots of a difficult subject.  I saw and photographed my first Hummingbird Clearwing Moth last summer with a 100-300mm lens on my GH4.

I was able to almost stop the (clear) wings in this thumbnail:

Hummingbird Clearwing Moth on milkweed wth a (rare) buddy nearby.

I am not an expert on these big moths but I am pretty sure that mine above is a Hemaris thysbe .

I think that your beauty is a Hyles lineata ... aka Hummingbird Moth or White-lined Sphinx Moth .... a great catch!

I am certain that I would never be able to ID these critters without using a fast focusing camera!

Thanks for posting your beauty!  I bet that it will return to your fruit/berry blossoms this spring.

-- hide signature --

Tom
The best part of growing old is having the opportunity to do so.

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow