New Tamron 28-75 vrs. Nikon 28-70

Started Jul 10, 2003 | Discussions thread
Charles Bandes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,901
Like?
Re: 24-85G V24-85D
In reply to gazza down under, Jul 12, 2003

I've wondered about that too.

After shooting for a year or so with the 24-85D I must say that I have been pretty satisfied with it. I ran a lot of tests when I first got the lens, comparing it against a piece-of-junk sigma, a wide-angle tokina, and the 85 1.8 nikkor and the results were pretty much exactly as you would expect - it was waaaay sharper than the sigma 28-105, kinda comparable to the tokina 20-35, and not as sharp as the nikkor 85 1.8. I also did some less formal tests against the nikkor 28-105 and I liked the 24-85 better.

My personal take is that the 24-85D is "plenty sharp" - not the lens that I would use for situations where critical sharpness is paramount, but then I probably would never use a zoom for that sort of situation - the nikkor primes are hard to beat.

I've replaced the 24-85D with the 24-120GVR for most of my "general purpose" work, at least for the moment - but I think it is a pretty great lens and one I'm definitely keeping in my bag-o-tricks.

gazza down under wrote:

Hello
Just interested that the 24-85G is always gets a mention but hardly
ever the 24-85D if. Is it because of price or is the D version a
dog? Local stores suggest and recommend the 24-85D if 2.8-4. next
best thing to 28-70 So paid the extra money hoping for slightly
better performance, don’t know if I should take it back and make a
change.
Gazza

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow