Is DigitalRev a trustworthy seller?

Started Nov 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Re: Is DigitalRev a trustworthy seller?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, 5 months ago

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

*************** AVOID THIS COMPANY - THEY ARE CRIMINALS ***************

I've just created an account, 2015, to let anyone reading this thread know that they ABSOLUTELY SHOULD AVOID DigitalRev. They are a bunch of crooks. Mods, Please do not remove this thread. I did a search for a review of this company and yours was the most helpful.

My brother bought a Nikon D800 from them. The camera arrived but when he tried to register it, he realised he couldn't as the registration wasn't accepted by Nikon. So he called Nikon and they said that it's not a Genuine Nikon product if it doesn't have a valid registration. They advised him to contact DigitalRev again. So he did. This is where DigitalRev get creative. They said that due to the flooding in China, they had lost all records of customers that had bought stuff from them, and that was it!

In the time that my brother has been trying to get some kind of refund and closure to this, his D800 has had the shutter break down twice at a cost of 500 GBP to fix each time.

*************** AVOID THIS COMPANY - THEY ARE CRIMINALS ***************

Steady on. It should be pretty clear to anyone ordering from this company that they are a Hong Kong based outfit and that if you order an item to be sent to the UK it will not come with a UK warranty from the manufacturer - instead, as clearly indicated on their web site, Digital Rev provide the warranty. So this is, in effect, what's called a 'grey market' product, since you are purchasing a camera not intended for retail in the country you are wanting to own and use it in. I thought just about everyone realised that by now, if you order from a Hong Kong based supplier? If you didn't realise that, why on earth did you think their prices are so much cheaper (sometimes) than UK prices?! "Not a Genuine Nikon product" is rubbish - of course it is made by Nikon, it's just that it is not a product intended for the EU/The UK - it will be a product intended for the Asian market - they can tell this from the serial number. This is the risk of ordering from Hong Kong! I'm sorry that your brother had this bad experience with this supplier, but there is a reason that DR and other HK based outfits sell cheaper than in the UK - it's because it's not UK stock ! I can't comment on their record keeping - usually you can just bring up order details via their web site if you created an account when you ordered. Also note that last time I looked you can order using PayPal on their web site, which offers you some protection if you have issues with the supplier.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

I purchased my Canon 6D and a lot of my lenses, all at various different stages from DigitalRev. All deliveries arrived quickly and were packaged brilliantly. Have upgraded some of the equipment since. No issues part-exchanging over here with UK camera dealers.

-- hide signature --

b19ddw's gear list:b19ddw's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow