ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Clint Thayer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,543
Like?
Nikon D100 & Canon 10D Showdown!
Jul 11, 2003

Hmmm.....

Well, most of you know that I own both a Nikon D100 and the Canon 10D. I've had great results recently with the D100-- and I was about to put up my Canon 10D for sale because I thought it had front focus issues-- blown highlights etc. But, in the past few weeks I've been back with the Canon and have found that most of the issues I had with it I were attributed to issues I could have controlled.

So, today, I thought I would bring both cameras out in the morning sun and take some comparison shots of a local carnival about to begin. What I found was very surprising to me...

I'm a very even handed guy, so I fitted both cameras with their 24-85mm comparable zoom lenses (Nikon and Canon brand lenses). Both cams were set to "multi metering" and both were set to f8.0 and 1/250 sec. AWB for both cameras, shot in RAW mode. ISO on the Canon 10D was moved up to ISO 200 to match the Nikon D100. Also, I tried my best to frame the pictures as equally as possible.

Below, are (2) pictures straight out of the camera without modification except for JPEG conversion and resize.

Below are (2) pictures that show the D100 levels normalized to match that of the Canon 10D. (Most of you know that D100 tends to be darker out of the camera). These have also been sharpened (USM).

Then we get a little bit closer in the examination. Below, the (2) pictures are 100% crops from the blue box towards the center of the image. Compare the surfaces and shadow details between the (2) images:

The bird house in the next (2) images is not the focus point of the picture. However, it is still there. Note the dramatic difference between the (2) cameras' interpretation of this 100% crop:

Finally, the next (2) images compare the mostly centered figure in the image. In this comparison, you'll want to check the face, the smoothness and the rendering of the sculpture here.

What does this all mean? Well, I was a bit surprised with the results, honestly. Nice overcast sunny day-- both cameras set to their low ISO's (except for the Canon which could have been set even lower). It just goes to show that sometimes you don't notice these types of things until you actually do a field comparison side-by-side where these differences start to avail themselves.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow