Anyone bought a Hoocap SH-49A?

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Herts_JoaTMoN
Contributing MemberPosts: 765Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone bought a Hoocap SH-49A?
In reply to McQuestion, 3 months ago

McQuestion wrote:

Hi there! I'm considering getting the HooCap for my SAL1650 f2.8, and your thread came up in my search.
I see you got that for your 49mm e-mount, which is also intriguing since I have several of those 49mm filter size e-mount lenses.
Now that you've had that for a while longer, what are your thoughts? Has it held up over time and proved to be a good purchase? Have you tried it with any of the other lenses than the one you bought it for?
Thanks!

I hadn't been on these forums for a while so didn't notice your question.

What are my thoughts? In a word, Great!

The time it saves instead of having to remove the hood, turn it around, re-attach it and then remove the cap is great. I only use it with my 35mm 1.8 these days as that's almost permanently attached to my NEX.

I've not used it with the kit zoom for a long time, but seem to remember it causing slight vignetting at 18mm. I rarely use that lens though so cant remember if the lens vignettes at that length anyway.

Build quality is good. It can be a little fiddley to attach or close at times and it does not create as a good a seal on the front of your lens as a traditional cap (slight gap, less than 1mm), but the convenience far out weight this slight negative. It just means that you might get a little more dust on your front glass over an extended period of time but is easily fixed with a quick blow with a rocket blower or a lens pen.

Hope that helps.

-- hide signature --

Ben Williams - UK

Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list:Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow