Gitzo GT1544T?

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Cliff Fujii
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,532Gear list
Like?
Re: Gitzo GT1544T and P0
In reply to FabG, 4 months ago

Length wise, both tripods are identical when folded for transport (if you remove the head from the GT1542T).  The overall width of the tripods in closed configuration will be greater for the GT1544T with the P0 than with the GT1542T with the P0 removed.  Of course, you could remove the P0 from the center column when traveling with GT1544T and get the same results.  Since I'm using the GH1781TQD on my Traveler, it doesn't make any difference because it's is designed to let the Traveler full close when in transport configuration on either tripod.  It's not as good a head as the P0 but now that I've been using it for a while, it does OK and most importantly, there is no slippage when the head is locked.  They put a PFTE coating on the ball so as I use it, it starts to smooth out and it's not as stiff as it was when new.  It has a great Arca Swiss clamp installed but you have to decide whether to use the silver insert (std Arca Swiss plates) or the black insert (wide Arca Swiss plates like RRS).  I value compactness so I choose the Gitzo head.  It's a good head but it just takes getting used to.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +47 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
QNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow