The myth of the large sensor "high ISO advantage"

Started Mar 3, 2015 | Discussions thread
cainn24 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892
Re: water bucket argument

Aur wrote:

Why did they do it, because underestimated people's herd mentality of preferring pixels density over pixel accuracy.

Not really. HTC were just engaging in the same basic style of marketing nonsense from the other direction. In other words they were trying to cash in on a new emerging herd mentality based on ill-conceived notions about how rising pixel counts are destroying IQ.

If you pull both the HTC One and iPhone 5 sample from here, which are the closest in terms of exposure, and then downsample the iPhone 5 image to match (which you can do automagically in-camera if you like), this is what you get:

HTC One

iPhone 5

To my eyes the iPhone 5 image is simply much nicer since IQ is not just about noise it's also about detail. And the noise difference isn't drastic anyway. In fact when you've captured more detail you have additional processing latitude when it comes to noise anyway since most intelligent noise reduction methods work best when detail is well defined.

(and please note that I didn't cherry pick an example; I went straight to the challenging low-light high ISO scene)

As someone who cares about IQ the choice here would be clear. And it wouldn't be the HTC. And I reach this conclusion with my own eyes rather than by waiting to see what the rest of the "herd" is doing. That's what most discerning photographers who appreciate the benefits of additional resolution do. It's an informed choice, and it's a good one.

iPhone 5, NeatImage (Luminance NR = 50), 4MP, +1EV just to show that we're not trying to hide noise behind a brightness difference.

Understand though that I'm not suggesting that PP is even necessary.  I'd still prefer the iPhone 5 image even without it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Aur
Aur
Aur
Aur
Aur
Aur
Aur
Aur
tko
tko
Aur
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow