Film vs Digital: guess which is which?

Started Feb 16, 2015 | Discussions thread
JameOl
OP JameOl Junior Member • Posts: 46
** THE ANSWERS **

Thanks to all professional photographers and enthusiasts who participated! Further I will call you experts which I think is true as I believe you understand the difference between analog and digital photos better than 99% of humanity.

Several days ago I posted 10 images telling you that some of them are actual film scans and some are digital photos processed with a film-simulating software. All images were 1100px on their long side and saved as hi-quality jpegs.

THE QUESTION WAS:
Judging on your first impression, tell which photos you think are taken using film and which are taken with digital camera?

AND HERE ARE THE ANSWERS:
It took me a while to process all your answers, so apologies for the delay. All the percentages are based on the aggregated answers from here and a cross post in retouch forum.

#1 Digital. Processed with RNI Films 3.0 (don't remember the exact preset I used) 52% of experts think it's film.

View: original size

#2 Digital. Processed with RNI Films 3 (Polaroid 669 Expired preset) 77% of experts think it is analog photo.

#3 Digital. Processed with RNI Films (Fuji Superia 800 preset) 54% of experts think it's film.

#4 Film (yee-haa!). Fuji Velvia 100Scanned with Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED 23% of experts think it's film

#5 Film! Fuji Superia 200 Scanned with Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED 23% of experts think this is film

#6 Digital. RNI FIlms (Fuji Pro 800Z preset) 62% of experts think this is film

#7 FIlm. Fuji Superia 200 Super Coolscan,31% of experts think this is film

#8 Film (slide). Kodak E200, a bit expired. 46% of experts guessed that it's film.

#9 Digital. RNI FIlms 3.0 (Fuji Superia 1600 preset) 62% of experts say it's film.

#10 Film! Kodak Gold 200, Nikon Super Coolscan. 46% of experts recognize this is a film photo.

IN AVERAGE:

If we ask, which images are taken with film?
63% of experts' votes belong to simulated images
and only 34% to actual film images.

Does it mean that digitally simulated looks more convincing that real films?

Possibly yes.

Thanks again to all the participants.

JameOl's gear list:JameOl's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jnd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow