Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 7,484Gear list
Like?
Re: Stylus 1 vs Nikon P7800
In reply to sbansban, 3 weeks ago

sbansban wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

I was gonna get the P7800 but for the same weight and size, the Stylus 1 gives more reach, better EVF. I'm I missing something besides $ 200?

I wanted to ask the exact same question with some additional comments and decided to put my queries in this existing thread instead of opening a new one. Much of the discussion here took place over a year ago - before folks had sufficient experience / time with the Stylus 1 so I am hoping there will be better info available now for my decision.

I just received a Nikon P7800 but due to the weather conditions and lack of time, am not able to try it out as much as I would like to before finally deciding whether to keep it or return it in the next couple of weeks.

I am especially interested in an all-rounder compact camera for travel photography but the IQ (both JPEG and Raw) in all situations (long focal length, low light, high shutter speeds to freeze motion) is the most important criterion.

I am wondering if I wouldn't be better of with the Olympus Stylus 1 (constant F2.8 10X zoom) or its doppelgänger the Casio EX-100. Like I said, the most important consideration for me will be IQ in all situations, fast lens and reach in a compact jacket-pocketable form-factor.

I just looked at your gear list. If anyone can evaluate a camera, it ought to be you. Shoot the 7800, post some pics, like it a lot or not. There is a limit to what anyone can get with a 1/1.7" size sensor. All of your cameras will be good/better/worse according to your skills, not either of these cameras in this category.

At this level, the primary difference would be: is the AF slow, too slow, like the Canon G1X for instance? In other words, is there anything about either camera, like the G1X slow AF, that cripples an otherwize terrific camera. IMO, nothing cripples the Stylus 1.

In the 1/1.7" zoom category, why wouldn't you want more zoom with a brighter lens, with threads for conversion lenses, and 2X which is applied to more optical zoom, which further extends the zoom advantage?

Within about an hour, I knew the Stylus 1 was a keeper.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus 1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow