Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC - issue

Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Luc3
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Re: Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC - issue (my initial findings)
In reply to 3sgilbert, 6 days ago

Hello, I just wanted to share my experience with Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC. I received it last week and did some testing on my D600.

1. aperture lever is mis-calibration:

I can confirm, that my copy has minor aperture lever is mis-calibration, but it is barely notable. Actually I noticed this only when the lens is fully zoomed. I evaluate that my copy has aperture lever is mis-calibration for from about 1/4 to 1/6 of a stop. I noticed this only after reading these posts on the forum, otherwise I think I would never find out myself.

2. focus breathing:

The lens needed almost no fine tuning. I got it perfectly tuned wide open on +2 on camera’s scale, using 25% “Jeffrey’s tuning chart”. I can confirm though, that my copy has minor focus breathing. When stepping down to f/4, the perfect tune should be about -1 or -2.

Here I have to add, that I was testing my friend’s D800 with Nikkor 24-70 2.8 yesterday. I have concluded my mini test with the same findings – original Nikon lens also showed some minor lens breathing.

3. VC

I did some handheld shots from 1/80 sec. to 1/10 sec., first time VC on, then repeated with VC off. I think VC works OK, I did not find any problems or image degradation there. When outside, I managed to get beautiful image of nearby stream, handheld, at 1/5sec. Obviously, with VC engaged.

Overall findings:

I didn’t have much time to test this lens in deep, so these are just my initial findings. I own the lens so I’ll be shooting quite often from now on, since I bought it as my main lens. I also have 50mm 1.8g prime, which I can confirm it is sharper when pixel peeping. I also noticed, that Tamron, when zoomed to 50mm is actually “shorter” than Nikon 50mm prime. By this I mean, it’s more “wide angle”. Overall I like this lens and I’m definitely keeping it. I think it’s more versatile as a walkaround lens. I can instantly get from nice bokeh portrait lens to cool wide angle one. Compared to Nikkor 24-70 2.8 it is noticeably smaller and I can still get in my walkaround shoulder strap bag. I believe the Nikkor quality is superior, but you have to pay extra for that. For now I can say that Tamron is worth the money, price-to-performance wise.

Luc3's gear list:Luc3's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow