Apple dumps optical drives...

Started Nov 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dustonian
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
Re: Burning CD.s is the best. No change.
In reply to jonrobertp, 2 months ago

Dustonian wrote:

Well, it's not the biggest deal to me, but I still prefer optical drives. Apple can probably get by just fine without them, but there are a lot of Windows users who still buy phisical PC game discs to avoid downloading newer 35GB - 50GB games from Steam or a origin all day long. Not everyone has the fastest internet either. Not everyone plays online games either

Video games aside, when it comes to home videos, vacation videos, etc... I prefer burning a DVD or even a Bluray along with a nice cover sticker or litescribe cover for cataloging and giving as gifts to older family members who don't have laptops, fast internet, and any tech knowledge. But it's getting to the point where even older generations know how to use their DVD and Bluray players with their flat screen HDTV's.

What am I going to start giving family and friends? USB thumb drives... here fill up your computer or tablets HDD with these videos and pics and then give me my thumb drive back. Then what happens when they run out of HDD space? Buy external backups? Sorry but DVD's and Blurays sound easier.

I'm also not comfortable with relying completely on the Internet all the time. I'm all for having everything easily accessible and updated from Internet services and storage, but only when it's convenient. It's not convenient to wait DAYS to play a game because A) it takes forever to download 35GB while hoping your broadband doesn't cut out, and B) the servers are slow or down because everyone is trying to down load the same game.

Ive never used Netflix or other movie services, but I hear friends say all the time they do get interrupted with ocassional loading, etc... and it's not as sharp as a bluray. I'm sure most consumers don't care about blurays over DVD but enthusiasts do. All my local Red Box kiosks are still constantly busy with people opting for DVD and bluray.

However, as long as you can buy USB optical drives as an add on I'm all for Apple leaving them out of their computers. The system will be more compact and you'll know when to pack or bust out your USB optical drive if you prefer it for a certain situation. So I hope optical drives stick around, but they don't need to be built in to our computers or laptops for the most part.

I'm not sure what your implying... I made it clear in my post I'm all for optical drives being left out of computer devices since an external drive could be a better solution for those who still need them even if for just 2% of the time. My rant was pointing out that optical media is far from dead regardless of how much ground it is losing to the internet.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow