Nocticron users - problems

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 19,642
Like?
Re: Nocticron users - problems
In reply to JD1, 4 weeks ago

JD1 wrote:

You might want to consider looking on ebay for a suitably sized 67mm hood. There are generic made-in-China hoods and usually a selection of used hoods. Most sellers don't list the dimensions but you can sometimes get a good idea from pictures. The generic ones sell for around $6-10 and typically used screw-in hoods run between about $12-20, so even if you get one that doesn't work for your purpose, no great financial loss.

Frankly, some of the older hoods from major camera manufacturers are pretty nicely made in comparison to what comes with lenses (WHEN they come with the lenses...Olympus...)

I am pretty sure at least some of the sellers would be willing to measure diameter and length for you if you asked them.

Good comment and they come in all shapes and sizes and I am sure that one very similar to  the oem hood could be had.  But the main trouble is that few are actually reversible and therefore either left on (a pain) or have to be separately carried (a pain).

The Matin hood comes with a filter thread screw in connector that makes it into a reversible hood bayonet fitting.  Unfortunately they make their hoods lightly bell-shaped so as to accommodate many different lens shapes.  Sometimes this works very well - at other times it adds a significant extra diameter which might or might not be suitable to a particular user.

I think there are other generic hoods that can be made reversible but I have not sought any out - might be worth a check-around.

The Matin hood solution has to be streets ahead of the extending floppy rubber hood alternative ....

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow