captura
Forum ProPosts: 16,865Gear list
Like?
Re: "All good" and the Canon FD 50mm f/1.8
In reply to ProfHankD, 3 months ago

ProfHankD wrote:

captura wrote:

Andreas Carl wrote:

All 50mm lenses are really very good - but my top favorite is the wonderful super multi coated Takumar 50/1.4 with its radioactive lens elements.

One exception to your "all good" theory is the Canon FD 50/1.8.

On APS-C, I strongly agree that the Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 ranks very near the bottom of the fast 50 pile (and the much-loved-by-DPReview-posters FDn f/1.4 is much better, but in my opinion even it is still near the bottom of the f/1.4 or faster pile, at least when used wide open). I've got a lot of fast 50s to pick from, and my Canon FD/FDn 50mm f/1.8 are among the least often used.

However, the Canon FD/FDn 50mm f/1.8 is still good -- optically better than most entry-level lenses in other focal lengths from the FL/FD/FDn line and way better than most modern cheap zooms. On top of that, the truth is that the FD/FDn 50mm f/1.8 does much better on FF than it does on APS-C (on FF, the relatively poor resolution suffices, the high microcontrast does some good, and evenness across the frame is better than average), and it is one of the very few lenses you can easily get for under $10. The plastic build also means it's relatively light. In short, it's easy to find optically and mechanically better fast 50s for under $30, but the FD 50mm f/1.8 is actually one of the cheapest ways to see if manual focus is for you... and it's not a bad lens to take into conditions where the lens might get seriously damaged, because IQ is good but you will not be crying if it's destroyed.

The !FD 5o and the 50 FDn are 2 entirely different lenses. The FD 50 still sucks.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix A Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
.New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow