Lens recommendataion: Fast AF for indoor sports?

Started Nov 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Michael A Griffiths
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: Lens recommendataion: Fast AF for indoor sports?
In reply to dtrph, 1 month ago

The 135 1.8 has surprising focus speeds for me and at 1.8 you can cope with low light. It's not a silent ultra hyper sonic whatever auto focus system, but if things are moving at human type speed it keeps up ok with my kids running around. I found one used for 1K, normally something like 1.6K new. Easily my strongest lens for portraits, short range sports, general lengthy shooting and details. Worth every penny if you ask me. Look at it this way. I have a 28-75 2.8 tamron for $300, the 135 1.8 takes better than 3x photos so it's worth more than 3x cost to me. So at 3x cost, I'll take it. There are many lenses that take marginally or double as good pictures but cost 4x or 5x, so for me they are not worth it.

Oh by the way, I shoot on an a7 (used for 1K) and the la-ea4, so it's very possible you would get better focus speeds than me on an actual dslr or slt camera with a stronger battery and focus system.  Every camera/lens has it's limits.  I can say that this lens is magical, and within it's limits I'm impressed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow