Forum ProPosts: 17,380Gear list
Like?
Re: Sams Club or Walmart cameras
In reply to B1ackhat, 10 months ago

B1ackhat wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

B1ackhat wrote:

B1ackhat wrote:

The guy at STS told me the the same thing about tires when I asked him to pricematch Sam's Club and it was total BS. WM/Sam's do sell models of electronics that are specifically manufactured for them and often these models are made with inferior parts, but if the model number is exactly the same, it's the same camera.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

This. ^

-- hide signature --

Sorry, I don't buy it. I work for a company that sells kitchen appliances & cookware. We also have models for specific retailers, but it's done by including or excluding accessories, or different colors - not inferior parts.

Sam's Club, Wal-Mart, and other big-box retailers get better pricing because of volume discounts. The packaging might be different because they buy in pallet quantities, rather than the items being shipped in smaller carton quantities that other retailers get. That makes the model number they order different, but it's the same product inside the packaging.

No one stated or implied that all of the store-specific models are made with inferior parts, but some certainly are. Walmart doesn't simply get a discount due to volume pricing. They are well reputed for bullying manufacturers into providing products at specific price points. Walmart-specific TVs are a prime example of models built with inferior parts. Crack one WM-model open alongside the equivalent non-WM model and you will nearly always find metal components replaced with plastic ones, different LCD panels, etc.

p.s. The model number of a product doesn't change whether there is 1 pallet or 1,000.

I think I know more about the company I work for than you do.  Yes, the model number ordered by Sam's, and stocked in our warehouse, is in fact different b/c of the way it's packaged for a pallet shipment.  Same product, but different due to the packaging.

Sony will soon be selling a line of televisions specifically for Wal-Mart Stores, Target and other discount retailers. (2007 article)

-- hide signature --

A "line" of products is different than putting different components in the same item.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow