Re: Is DigitalRev a trustworthy seller?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, 1 month ago

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

GavR wrote:

b19ddw wrote:

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

b19ddw wrote:

bayvista wrote:

Absolutely not! I purchased a Canon that was defective. When I returned it they deducted 15%, plus I had to pay $58 to return it to Hong Kong. Buyer beware! Buy local

Sad to hear you have had a bad experience with them. I have purchased from them on numerous occasions and NEVER had a problem. Speedy deliveries too. One of my orders actually arrived next day from Hong Kong ... crazy!

-- hide signature --

B19DDW:
www.fb.com/deanwebbphotography/
www.flickr.com/photos/deanwebbphotography/sets/

Yes but the risk is what happens when the goods are defective on arrival or when they go wrong within the warranty period. This is when folks seem to report issues. And this is where a local supplier wins out, typically.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Fair point, but I would not hesitate in recommending DigitalRev to buyers in the UK. I will certainly 'risk' again in future even if it did result in my paying $58 and a 15% handling charge. Prices in the UK can be excessive due to the high tax we have to pay. In most instances, the saving outweighs a possible penalty. It's just sad to hear @bayvista has had a bad experience.

-- hide signature --

B19DDW:
www.deanwebbphotography.com
www.fb.com/deanwebbphotography/

Thought I'd add my experience so far of buying from DigitalRev...

After scouring the web for info on DigtalRev and reading comments on this site, I decided to go for it and buy a Sony A7s, Zeiss 24-70 F4 lens and mem card from them. The cost savings allowed me to upgrade the stock zoom lens to the Zeiss with cash to spare. Not bad...

It took three days for the lens and card to arrive, and a further seven days for the A7s body. The A7s was the world version, so supports PAL and NTSC, which is great. The A7s box had been opened by DigitalRev, seemingly to remove the local language manual (whatever that was) and add a UK convertor plug for the 110volt charger. No probs with that. The lens was so well packed in bubble wrap, it looked like an oversized football.

So all good so far... however, the lens is faulty and I'm currently in the process of returning it. It does work, but the zoom ring is incredibly stiff - it jerks when rotated and produces a zipping/scratching sound, which makes it useless for video.

So far DigitalRev have been very helpful with the return – seems very similar to returning stuff to Amazon. The lens has now been sent for testing locally in the UK. The devil’s in the detail of course… the lens clearly needs replacing, but I will be interested to see if they replace it for no additional cost as their website states, or whether I get stung with a “15% restock” charge and return postage to Hong Kong… I will let you know when I’ve heard back from them!

Do report back. I'm not sure I would agree that returning to DR is as easy as Amazon. My experience with Amazon and also with WEX in the UK is that if an item is faulty they never question it - you just return it and you get an instant refund - they never say you have to wait while we test it or anything like that, they never insist on a repair - they offer a replacement or a full refund. I hope DR act in a timely and efficient manner with your return - do let us know.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Yes, you’re right. Amazon are so good with their returns policy that I’ve found this to be better than most warranties, which often have so much small print that they are easy to wrangle out of. I guess my comment about DigitalRev was more to do with the speed and friendliness of their responses, but I’ve not yet had to wait for a returned item to Amazon be tested.

So, to conclude my buying experience… DigitalRev suspected that there was a fault with my lens and sent it to Sony for testing. Sony confirmed that there was a manufacturing defect and DigitalRev replaced the unit. It took two weeks from returning the lens to receiving the replacement.

Got to say, I was pretty nervous about the whole process, especially considering I had to return an expensive item from my first purchase with an overseas company, but I have to say I’ve been pretty impressed overall and it’s been a fairly easy process getting the replacement.

A couple of things that could be improved with their service… I found that (for me anyway) their online ticketing system didn’t work so I had to email for updates after the lens had been returned. I also had to pay for the return postage (they may yet pay this of course), but it didn’t cost much. I was also told I’d receive an email once the replacement unit was sent out to me. The lens arrived today out of the blue today with no email being received. But these are relatively small points I guess.

Would I order from DigitalRev again? Yes, I think I would – certainly for more expensive items where the cost savings make it worth it. I’m thinking of buying a 70-200 FE lens for my A7s, and if I do, DigitaRev will most likely be getting my business.

GavR's gear list:GavR's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow