Sony 16-50 kit lens

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ArtAlt
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Re: Sony 16-50 kit lens
In reply to Bart Hickman, 1 month ago

(1) I like the comparison with high quality lenses as an absolute standard.  I hate when people say things like "of course I would not compare it to my Zeiss."  Argh!  That is an important question!  Right now I'm trying to figure out whether to get the $300 Sony 50mm E mount with OSS vs the $1000 50mm FE Zeiss.  Really I need to know what that extra $700 buys on an APS-C camera, even it might might be diminishing returns, what are those returns?

Of course it is important to compare it to peers as well.   Speaking of which ....

(2) Has anyone compared the current 16-50 kit lens to the previous, larger kit lens 18-55?  Is the prior one any good, given appropriate software correction for distortion?   I would like something in that range, am not inclined to jump on the $1000 16-70 Zeiss right away, although I might need to.  I don't like to buy "kit" lenses and just leave them in a drawer.

Disadvantage of the 18-55 is that the retail price may be considered fluff, given that it was designed to sell at a small premium over the cost of an NEX.

Sigh.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow