Nocticron users - problems

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 19,204
Like?
Re: Nocticron users - problems
In reply to jhinkey, 1 month ago

jhinkey wrote:

I'm glad this thread has popped back up. Originally I posted that I did not have much of a problem. Well use over the summer has made the goo problem much much worse for my copy. Sometimes it's a major pain getting the lens hood off because it's stuck on. I have to clean the lens and the inside of the hood of this hard, sticky goo every couple of months. I will try to take the lens hood apart and remove ALL of the goey stuff, but what I really want is a new lens hood.

Perhaps a call to Panasonic for a warranty exchange . . .

John

Well my Nocticron hood was in place for all our winter months which although not cold are not the glue-melting stuff of our summers. Originally I thought that it was just a bit of excess glue - no big deal. But it kept coming and then became a badge of pride - the nonchelance of the Nocticron with its glue marks like a badge of well-used office. Then the durned thing started sticking on so it became another cleaning exercise. But the excess glue on the lock ring is elastic and is hard to remove. But with some effort it cleaned up - only to have the process repeat itself.

I think a replacement hood would only be a temporary relief and the whole issue surrounds the elastic substance that sits between the lock ring and the barrel. Keeping it contained where it is supposed to be seems to be the problem. Its purpose? Must be to provide a expanding soft buffer to give good grip without over-tightening.

Why we have to have screw-lock hoods is another thing. Perhaps they wear better than hoods with click detents? But they are fiddly things to attach and remove.

As noted elsewhere there is a very satisfatory solution that I have adopted and which works fine. The Matin 67mm nylon plastic type hood with inbuilt filter ring. The hood comes with a filter ring on one side that has a bayonet mount on the other. You simply use the attached hood to screw the filter ring up tight and then the hood comes off and reverses using the bayonet lugs. Click on, click off, reverse and click on again. All done in seconds. Now I have a spare oem Nocticron hood. And a permanent fix for the problem.

The Matin products are very high quality and perhaps a little more expensive because of it, but I can endorse this hood for the Nocticron - works well. Illustration and link elsewhere on this thread.

Link

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54496391

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow