HELP: Sony A99 can't decide which FF lens 2 buy!

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
yakkosmurf
Senior MemberPosts: 2,077Gear list
Like?
Re: HELP: Sony A99 can't decide which FF lens 2 buy!
In reply to Artbeak Productions, 2 months ago

David,

I'll throw out another option that worked well for me.  I am not a wedding photographer, so your needs may be different from mine.

I upgraded to a FF camera with no budget at the time for a FF wide angle zoom.  I had a lens similar to your 16-50 in that it was APS-C.  So, I took my FF camera and attached the lens to it.  I was very pleased with the results, even if the resolution was about half of the camera capability.  I saved my money for a year until I could buy the Zeiss 24-70, which I'm very happy with.  I did have a 24mm prime that worked FF, so I used that when I was concerned with resolution.

So, I encourage you to try the 16-50 on your a99 and see what you think of the results for your needs. It's a no cost experiment.  If you're okay the results in the short term save your money for the expensive lens you like best.  In the meantime, you might want to pick up a cheap prime if that would be useful in the meantime, as others have suggested.

There's no wrong answer.  Just go with what works best for your needs and budget.

-- hide signature --
 yakkosmurf's gear list:yakkosmurf's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow