Best settings for Aperture and Canon Pro-10

Started Sep 25, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jim Salvas
Jim Salvas Veteran Member • Posts: 5,670
Best settings for Aperture and Canon Pro-10

I've been struggling for a week with my new Canon Pro-10, trying to get it in the ballpark of what I see on screen. I have a calibrated iMac and I'm using Aperture, but unless I make major adjustments, everything comes out in various shades of too dark, by two stops or so, even though the histograms on the original files look good. I have printed these same files just fine at printing labs and even at Target.

Some people suggest turning monitor brightness way down and adjusting the brightness of the files. I've done this and it only shifts the histograms and gives me blown out highlights.

I've also tried to adjust brightness from Aperture's print dialog. A brightness setting of about 1.30 seems needed. The contrast then seems low, but the highlights don't blow out as much as when brightening the files.

When I do this, the Aperture print dialogue also tells me to "Turn off color management in the print driver." Does that mean leaving color matching in the printer dialogue set to ColorSync instead of "Canon Color Matching?"

Can anyone help? What is the best way to get decent prints out of this thing?

By the way, I'm using Canon Pro Luster paper. And I'm depleting the ink pretty fast.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow