Sigma 35mm 1.4 beware of focus issues close to infinity

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mark Ward
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: Sigma 35mm 1.4 and 18-35 f1.8 - excellent focus
In reply to ArturoBandini, 3 months ago

I post this just in case somebody hits the same issue that I ran into with the Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART...the end result however is a perfectly working lens with the 810 and great lens sharpness & focus

I bought the 35mm 1.4 from MK Trading in the UAE (where I live) a few weeks after launch. No issue with D800 (as far as new!) - little bit of AF tune, a few misses on the PDAF but no more than my Nikon's. Great results wide open.

When the Nikon Df was launched the 35mm did not AF properly on it - the lens being an early release needed the firmware upgrade as per the Sigma advisory. Through the USB dock I upgraded and the lens worked for PDAF. However, for a particular shot, I needed to use Liveview with CDAF and the lens would just rack forwards/backwards without achieving focus. I tried all combos - objects, distances, white balance, focus modes...no luck. When tested on the D800 I discovered the same Liveview/CDAF problem. I put it down to a "marketing vs reality gap" ... Autofocus "yes" (PDAF) but Liveview CDAF "no comment"

When the 50mm ART was released I tried it on a D810 - no issue on CDAF or PDAF. But the 35mm still refused to CDAF on the 810. The 50mm also works for CDAF on the 800 and Df.

On contacting MK Trading (also official service centre) they acknowledged the problem and tried changing the logic board inside the lens (apparently, there is a newer board since the lens was released) -> no success

On contacting Sigma Japan they confirmed that the Sigma 35mm should Liveview CDAF on the 800, Df and 810. I have to say what impressed me, after a couple of emails, is that they agreed to send a working lens with a return of the defective lens. I now have a sharp, repeatable focus in all modes.

So with all the boards jammed with complaints re: Nikon camera issues, "shuttershock", poor or no software support etc. the test is not the problem but what the manufacturer does after. In my case, I can only commend MK Trading and Sigma for putting in right.

Thanks

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow