Warning to m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 users

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
boxerman
Contributing MemberPosts: 674Gear list
Like?
Newish super premium polarizer with no 12-40 problems
In reply to Neurad1, 1 week ago

Neurad1 wrote:

I apologize if this topic/observation has already been discussed in this forum, but I have recently realized that my B+W 62mm Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter contacts the surface of my m.zuiko 12-40 2.8 lens. Hopefully, I have not already damaged the lens.

I wanted to let others know this as I don't (for obvious reasons) recommend purchasing this filter for this lens. I would appreciate it if anyone can suggest an alternate circular polarizer for this lens that is of excellent quality but does not contact the front element.

For those monitoring this thread:

I just received a Marumi EXUS ("super premium") circular polarizer for my 12-40. It's an upgrade to the already well-reviewed Marumi high-end polarizer, and adds some frills like teflon threads and antistatic, water- and oil-repeant coating. It passes with flying colors the "will not bind a snippet of paper" test.

To boot, I got it for about $90 from B&H, so it's also significantly cheaper than the B+W KS-Pro. And, you don't have to worry about testing or buying or making an extender.

Quality looks A-1. Time will tell. I think the previous high end Marumi rated as high as the B+W, so I expect excellent service. About the only down-sides, I could not find material of construction, so I expect it is aluminum rather than brass.

Thanks much for the original post. Likely saved me some grief and disappointment.

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow