ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,781Gear list
Like?
A rather special Bee moment
3 months ago

even if not a particularly god shot of it

I've been photographing bees and their behaviour for over 10 years now and had one or two "special" shots, including spotting a new species this far West some years ago and getting the shots published / in a museum

The one thing I hadn't managed until last year was to record a bee feeding with its tongue opened up into its complex component parts, then I go two shots in as many days

Today, despite poor light, the v2 + 70-300 cx got me another in the sequence I've been trying for, a bee approaching the flower to feed, opening the mouth parts in flight - what a clever little camera

Here is the moment and as I warned, its not good photographically

If you look carefully you can see the left mandible and the upper and lower "beaks" that enclose an extensible tube, through which it feeds on nectar (not showing yet)

I had to under-expose to get the shutter speed then pull the exposure by about half a stop to improve the detail, losing some in the process

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow