Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Barry Fryer
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
Olympus E-M1 Extending Battery Life
2 months ago

I am a very proud owner of the Olympus E-M1. I love the camera but I am a little disappointed in its battery life at around 350 - 380 shots per charge.

However, as it is a new camera to me, I have been exploring all of its features, including manual focusing.

With the benefit of hindsight of course what I am about to say is blindingly obvious.

With autofocus disabled, the battery life nearly quadruples.

This means going back to manual focusing or using hyperfocal distance approximations but that's where I started my hobby with a Canon AE-!.

If you would like more life from your Oly battery and are happy to focus manually, you will at least treble and possibly quadruple your battery life by turning off the energy sapping autofocus feature.

This thought might be of use in an emergency to some if battery power drops to a low level.

With so much drain on the battery due to using autofocus I am going back to manual focus for images where I don't need to default to letting the camera focus for me.

Using a brand new Olympus E-M1 and going back to my photgraphic roots from the mid 70's.

Digital retro look out

Barry Fryer's gear list:Barry Fryer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-M1 +1 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow