Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brent Allen Thale
Regular MemberPosts: 486Gear list
Like?
The D810 does Dragon Con!
10 months ago

I wanted to try out the Nikon D810 with my PocketWizards, so I rented one and took it to the big Dragon Con show in Atlanta, Georgia. Dragon Con is one of the biggest sci-fi/fantasy shows in the United States and it features some pretty awesome cosplay, which you're welcome to see here: http://www.wingedmammal.com/dragoncon_2014/dragon_con_2014.shtml

My verdict is I did like the D810, felt very natural to use (My main camera is a D7100), the ISO and Mode buttons are in different places, which took some getting used to. The LCD on the back is so bright that the first day I kept turning down my flashes because the shots looked overexposed on the LCD, but when I got them on a computer they looked underexposed. So I turned down the brightness of the LCD and then it seemed fine.

Quality wise I didn't see a huge leap over the D7100 for what I'm doing, but ISO 64 blue skies do look cleaner on the D810, so that is nice. I was using the Nikon 24-70 2.8 which worked ok, but it vignettes/softens in the corners, something I had forgotten after using the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 on the D7100.

Anyway, had fun with the D810, think I'll just keep using my D7100 for now though.

Brent Allen Thale's gear list:Brent Allen Thale's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Nikon D7100 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow