Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joseph Mama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017
Like?
Getting a good deal on Nikon 1
2 months ago

Hey guys.  So I am recommending a Nikon J1 to my parent in laws, as they want something with good quality but also with solid reach, that will work as an all-in-one camera for an upcoming trip.  They also want it for grandkid pics and shots of birds,deer,etc on their property.

As such, my 3 top choices were:

Nikon J1.  (28-300ish mm with 10-30/30-110 or close with 10-100)

A travel zoom (28-700mm) -- great range but sucky indoors/lowlight.

A Lumix LF1  (26-200mm) -- more pocketable, decent low-light, but weak range.

I believe the better image quality of the J1 will work better as an all in one, especially if they got the 10-100 lens and left it on.  Kind of a ghetto RX-10.

So, the question is:   How would I best tell them where to get a good deal?     should I push for getting the two lenses as a kit, OR get the J1 bare and buy the 10-100 non-powered lens seperately?

I am not seeing the J2,3,4 as being significant upgrades for them.  More pixels, more noise seems to be the short version.  Extra burst speed isnt important.

Since they want relatively few controls to mess up, J1 seems like the best bet.   S2 is even simpler, but is it better than the J1?

Also, for telephoto, I am assuming that the Tamron 70-300mm with adapter is the most cost-effective solution for getting 800ish mm range?

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 J2 Nikon 1 S2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow