Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Scottelly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,870Gear list
Like?
Merrill vs. D800 vs. Quattro vs. D810
3 weeks ago

I was analyzing raw test images from Imaging-Resource, and I decided to make a thread here with my results. Below you will find four groups of four images . . . followed by a bonus group of images that show what the Pentax 645 Z can produce.

These are screen-captures of PhotoZoom Pro, because the resulting full images would be too big to post . . .even as jpegs . . . unless I compress them too much for you to tell the difference. I decided using screen-captures would be more useful.

Merrill

D800

Quattro

D810

Merrill

D800

Quattro

D810

Merrill

D800

Quattro

D810

Merrill

D800

Quattro

D810

As you can probably tell, I upscaled the TIFF conversions from raw. I decided that 30,000 pixels across would make more sense, since it would allow me to show more on the screen than if I upscaled to 50,000 pixels across.

I used Raw Therapee and SPP to do the conversions from raw to TIFF (16 bit . . . not just 8 bit), for consistency, because my version of Nikon View NX 2 does not allow me to view/convert the raw files from the D810 (or the Pentax 645 Z).

Below is the bonus . . . the same images, but using the Pentax 645 Z raw files . . . also from Imaging-Resource.

645 Z

645 Z

645 Z

645 Z

I find the results interesting. They seem to indicate that the image quality is in the same order that I posted these.

Now I know this is not any sort of definitive proof of whether the Merrill or Quattro or SD1 or whatever else is better or not. This is just one scene, shot by one group, at different times, so until we can shoot all the cameras side-by-side, with the exact same lens (which will never happen, because the medium format camera and the DP2 Quattro will not work with a lens that will work with the Nikons), we will not know for sure which sensor is better. Still, this is interesting stuff.

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Sigma DP2 Quattro Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow