ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LensBeginner
Regular MemberPosts: 368Gear list
Like?
Looking for a basic zoom in the tele range, confused
2 months ago

Hi all,

I currently have a Sigma UC 70-210mm f/4-5.6 which I got with the camera on ebay and it's showing its age: I've shot many pictures with it and even brought it along on trekkings.

The focus ring is coming apart and a little rubberized string came out of the push-pull mechanism.

So, I'm looking for a replacement!

I browsed the lens review section of "the other site" and made a little shortlist, but I'm very confused: there are far too many lenses with similar names, and it can happen that one of those two is great and the orther isn't worth its plastic.

I'm looking fo a 55/70 to 200/300, cheap and sturdy, at least at kit level, image-quality-wise.

By dividing the avg. vote on "the other forum" by 100 times the price I got a synthetic indicator that gave me a "bang for the buck" rating.

To my great surprise, the new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR has the lowest score (1.96) while the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro has the highest (8.88).

It is, however awfully similar in name to a Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro Super which has a quite different value (7.6 vs 8.89 avg. score).

There also is a Sigma 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 DG which looks quite appealing (range-wise, and scores a 9 average), and it doesn't cost a fortune.

I would have preferred something more tele however, but I can also see around that many -300mm in that price range are really usable up to 200mm.

I'm looking to spend 200, 250E tops (ok, a little more if I have to), used item is viable but new is preferred, ebay is good, Amazon is good, reputable European e-commerce sites are good.

I already have the good old SMC-M 200mm f/4 so for quality pictures I'll use that one.

There are times when I don't feel like scribbling the aperture of every single shot on the smartphone though

Thanks in advance!

LensBeginner's gear list:LensBeginner's gear list
Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +1 more
ANSWER:
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow