Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dick Ginkowski
Senior MemberPosts: 1,873Gear list
Like?
7DII: Evolutionary, revolutionary or ??? Your thoughts
2 months ago

Pretty safe bet that the 7D II will be announced soon.  But will it be evolutionary, revolutionary or something else?

Make no mistake -- the 7D is a very good and competent camera.  And the firmware upgrade a couple years back breathed new life into the beast.

But -- will its successor be an update or something dramatic?  With competitive pressures, I think Canon will find it difficult to raise the price point unless the 7D II is a dramatic, cutting-edge improvement.  Looking at my stable of Canon gear, I bought the 7D, 50D, 40D, 30D, 20D, 10D and D60 on the first day with no regrets.

My foray into mirrorless photography (now with Fuji's X-E2 and X-E1) has lessened the need and desire for a new DSLR.  Canon has been a bit player in mirrorless cameras, a puzzling move.

I'll probably bite the bullet on the 7D II but when will depend on whether it's a "wow" camera vs. a "that's nice" update.  Canon has had a long time to "get it right" and hopefully they will have made the wait worthwhile.

That said, I'm still waiting for the day when Canon decides to get serious about mirrorless.

What do you think?  Will the 7D II be a "wow" or a "that's nice" camera?

Dick Ginkowski's gear list:Dick Ginkowski's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 +20 more
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EVFsNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow