Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,864
Like?
An old silver mine
2 weeks ago

Normally, I love to take photos of my dear friend Kat. However, it is interesting to see what she can do with a camera.

A few weeks ago I found out that she had an Olympus "super zoom" camera that she had never really used. I encouraged her to use this camera to do some snap shots of her own. I helped her set up the camera (the firmware is an unmitigated disaster) and decided that the "everything automatic" mode would be the best to get started with. After seeing what this camera chose for ISO, F-stop, and shutter speed, I think the setup needs a lot more work

She took this camera on two family road trips. The first one was actually a shoot that her husband had set up with a model (her husband is a very fine photographer). She took only a few frames just trying to figure out how the camera worked. This is her "first shot" shapshot:

1. A forest in BC .. about 200 km from Calgary.

This past long weekend, Kat and the family decided to do a long trip (over 900 km total length) and look at some abandoned communities. Here are Kat's images that she captured in an old almost abandoned silver mining town. Not only was there a silver mine, there were also a bunch of old buses from Vancouver ... both gas and trolley. Don't ask me why the buses were there -- but, considering their age, maybe it makes sense for this old town.

I am really quite impressed with the images considering that she had never before used the camera - not even for family snaps ... All of them are almost the entire frame with very minimal crop. I did a B&W conversion simply because it seemed appropriate.  Lighting was very overcast with only a few moments with a trace of sun.

Out of the 30 or so image that Kat took, these are among the best -- although there are about five more that I like.

2. Kat's family - and the 1950's vintage buses originally from Vancouver

4 would you rather be in the bus or the wagon ?

5 The silver mine

6 The silver mine

-- hide signature --
Pentax K-m (K2000)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow