New to photography, getting an OM-D E-10, mainly for travel. Skip the kit lens?

Started 2 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gsteff
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
New to photography, getting an OM-D E-10, mainly for travel. Skip the kit lens?
2 weeks ago

I'm a photography novice, but will be getting more chances to travel over the next few years, and am using the opportunity to get more serious about it. Based on the advice at The Wirecutter, I've decided to get an OM-D E-M10 (I'm a software engineer, and will enjoy a camera that lets me fiddle and customize extensively). I don't want to blow a ton of money on lenses initially, but would like to start out with one zoom and one prime, in part for educational reasons.

I'm pretty sure that the prime I want will be the Olympus Zeiko 25mm f1.8, but I'm less certain about the zoom. The kit zoom is the default choice, but given that I'll be using this mostly for travel photography, and given that I'll already have a 25mm prime, I'm wondering if it might make sense to skip the 14-40mm kit zoom, and get the Olympus 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 zoom instead.

If it matters, the first trip I'll be taking this on will be a safari in South Africa, where (supposedly) I'll be getting pretty close to the wildlife some of the time. So I'm a little worried that with that configuration, I'll have to constantly be switching between my lenses to photograph subjects that are near/far away. But on the other hand, I'm worried that the kit zoom won't be adequate for photographing distant wildlife. And given how much I'm already spending on the gear as a novice, I'd rather not spend more than $250 on the zoom, so I don't think fancy zooms that can go wide angle too will be doable. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see the choice as between the 14-40mm kit (or similar) and the 40-150mm mid range zoom.

What should I get?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow