A different take on the D810 bright spot issue...

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chuxter
Forum ProPosts: 13,955Gear list
Like?
A different take on the D810 bright spot issue...
3 weeks ago

While trying to get proof for my hunch about the failure of the "Hot Pixel Map" on the D810, I have been carefully trying to get more examples.

I took a dark frame last week. I saved it in TIFF format. There was an area where two clusters of bright spots were close together, so I cropped that area and started gathering data. I found something interesting: It looks like the algorithm that uses the "Hot Pixel Map" was storing dark data in the wrong places, thus not overwriting the bright spots! Go look at the thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54310609

Today, I'm trying to get more samples to analyze. The first thing I noticed is that even when I setup the camera exactly as before, I got a totally different set of bright spots! I tried it several times.

Then I wondered if there might be something related to the file format and or the RAW converter that was affecting where the bright spots appeared? SO, I took a RAW + JPG dark frame [actually I did it 3 times, but there was no difference between the 3 images]. The settings were:

• 64 ISO
  • 30-seconds
  • No in-camera fiddling, like LENR, Hi-ISO NR, Active D-lighting, etc

The I converted the RAW file with LR 5.6 and NX-D. I then put the three JPEG images on separate layers in Elements 12, so that I could compare them. I did only one thing to bring out the bright spots; in Elements, I set Shadows = 1.

I was expecting small, subtle differences, this is what I got:

RAW Dark Frame rendered by LR 5.6

RAW Dark Frame rendered by NX-D

JPEG Dark Frame rendered in the D810

I think the JPEG from the camera is most likely correct [it's believable].

I'm confused!

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +8 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow