D700's focus points are too concentrated in the center!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Momoffourcutekids
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
D700's focus points are too concentrated in the center!
3 months ago

Hi,

I recently bought a D700, and I am having trouble focusing on the subject that I want to focus upon, since the 51 focus points are too concentrated in the center.

What can I do to spread out the focus points?

My focus points in my viewfinder look like this: http://pixinfo.com/img/Canon/EOS-5D/afpoint_comp_500d.jpg and I cannot focus on things above/below or to the right/left of that rectangle of focus points in the middle, and there's TONS of screen real estate all around that rectangle of focus points!

I'm having trouble getting my daughter's face in focus when I use a landscape orientation, unless I chop off her hips and below, since I can't move the focus point up so that her face will be at the top of the frame!  There's always so much wasted space above her head when I focus the top-most focus point on her eyes, and I wish the bottom of her body could be in the frame.

Is there a setting I can change, so that the focus points are not so contained in the very center of the frame?

Thank you very much

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow