Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
robbo d
Contributing MemberPosts: 965Gear list
Like?
K-S1 market driven ???
3 weeks ago

Alright, we've had the usual haters and those who bemoan it because it doesn't fit what they want or think Pentax should do.

..... well, sure we've had the k-01 and we think Pentax should do this and that and satisfy my need this way and that, want bigger, smaller, LED's, no LED's, more lenses, FF, camera's with wifi and bluetooth connectivity to the coffee maker etc etc......... ad infinitum.

SOMEWHERE in there is a requirement to make a profit ......... which means knowing your strongest markets.......... building to suit them most (because that's your profit base) ............ listening to the gripes and groans (sometimes) ....... but you have to remain firm on where you are going ...... utilise your existing lens line up to it's maximum ............. plan and release new products as and when you can depending on resources, R&D, market direction..... knowing what actually sells, not giving in to pressure of the small minions.

These people are by no means perfect, but they have the trends analysis, more market knowledge than we do, a limited budget sitting in front of them and an understanding of what's going to make $$ quickly, understand that selling cameras is not always about specs, in many cases it's visual impact and that forums don't mean diddly squat to these people.

Smart thinking I reckon.......... use a sensor that Sony wants to produce in bigger numbers(cheaper price), it hits just into the 20mp market, Tick.............. make it compete in the small brigade, (for people with small hands i.e women and Asian market) Tick ........ Go with existing multi coloured system which works in their strongest markets, Tick .......... LED's and coloured buttons which all the traditionalists hate, but their strongest market loves, Tick....... utilise some of their new tech, Tick ..... still works with all lenses, Tick .......

If it really needed everything you all think it should, then chances are it would have those features.

Don't we think that they sit down at meetings and discuss putting wifi into their cameras ?? or whether the markets really want an articulating screen.... haven't they done surveys or used market data to realise that 2% of the market occasionally uses this gimmick or that...... so let's not bother, save the money and produce a decent basic product ?? .... is mirror less really going to give us any advantage in the market ?? will we sell more or less because ??

I for one don't mind the look of it, but it's seriously small and not for me at this stage, however I am going to trust they have done their homework right and know what they're doing, cos I don't have access to what they know and doubt very much if all the armchair critics have any more understanding. Its obviously open slather and this is what forums are all about, but I think it's one very smart little market driven beasty that's going to generate some hard earned cash. 

robbo d's gear list:robbo d's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
Pentax K-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow