Is there any such thing as a grey import.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,562
Like?
Is there any such thing as a grey import.
2 months ago

The term is still used very frequently but in this globalised world is thyere such a thing. If I’m away from my home country I can enter a store and buy a camera, the same model that I can buy at home, manufactured in the same factory. The only thing I need to be wary of is in camera screen language and the documentation language.

If I buy a camera from Hong Kong it is no different from the above except because they are selling to the UK market the two problems above are eliminated.

An Olympus or a Panasonic warranty is the same and with a few notable exceptions (Australia?), I believe that each individual country’s Oly/Panny HQ supports worldwide warranties.

People are very mobile these days and I can’t believe that a six month working stint iin a foreign land can invalidate the warranty.

I would still argue that there is a certain comfort factor from buying from the guy around the corner but he is getting harder to find and I have to buy from someone at the other end of my country anyway.

As I see it with the exception of being sure that you don’t get stung for any unplanned import tax it makes no difference where you buy from. Your thoughts

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow