Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,469Gear list
Like?
I miss the E3 and 50-200 SWD
3 months ago

Looking back at old photos, I came across some from 2008 taken with Olympus E3 and 50-200 SWD.  I was shocked at how good they look, straight out of camera jpegs.  The E3 was very limited in that you couldn't underexpose and lift shadows to any meaningful degree, so then you blew highlights.  But for people shots the combination was magic.

The E3 plus a couple of decent lenses (12-60 and 50-200) was lighter and less bulky than the Nikon D700 that followed, but not that much; it didn't fully capitalise on the option of reduced size and weight.  M4/3 corrected this but but threw out one of the babies with the bath water.

Now M4/3 is established, with small neat decent lenses (I have the Panny 7-14, 12-35 and 35-100, all good), I would like even better lenses, albeit heavier and bulkier, to have as an option when weight and size are not an issue.
I realise there are adaptors to fit 4/3 lenses to M4/3 cameras, but I gather AF is severely compromised, and I'm not good with manual focusing.  And I'd have no stabilisation using Oly lenses on my GH4.  Which, incidentally, I chose over the E-M1 because of its swivelling screen, as on the E3.

I'm just rambling, this is probably momentary nostalgia.  I was just brought up in my metaphorical tracks when coming across the older photos.

-- hide signature --

Rens
There are optimists and there are realists
I always wanted to die young but now it's too late.
Life's so awful, why be miserable as well?

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow