Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ErnestMiami
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?
The Sony A7 is not for everyone
3 weeks ago

I have had the Sony A7 for almost a month now with the kits lens and at first I was not quite convinced on how it performed on one particular area: Focus Speed. I dually work with A mount and now E mount, but mostly E mount is for leisure and travel.

Like I said, this camera is not for everyone. If you want faster focus speed, you might want to go to the A6000 or A77 II.

Having some time to spare during this weekend while I was traveling I put my A7 to the test (I put myself to the test too with the camera)

Even though focus is not fast in the center point makes it easier to lock, low light is not its best feature on aperture mode but if you switch to Night Portrait, even without using a flash, it will work great and will lock focus 8 out of 10 times in low light conditions.

The camera tries to focus on the background at times when you are aiming to a subject in the foreground, specially if you are in landscape and there are vertical lines in the background. Similar issue is the horizontal lines in the background when in portrait. Use center point and you solve the issue.

To be happy with camera you need to be skilled at changing the setting quite fast on the programed buttons, use DMF, Peaking and so on. So if you want an all in one package type of camera, the A7 is not for you, otherwise you will have a great time with it and will be able to use more your brain and less the camera intelligent processing.

This are just my 2 cents on this camera, and for me it is a keeper.

ErnestMiami's gear list:ErnestMiami's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
a7New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow