Upgrade to 5D Mark III? Or maybe should get something else?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
visata
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Upgrade to 5D Mark III? Or maybe should get something else?
3 months ago

I will be visiting HK this week. They have so many good deals there, so it's a good opportunity for me to upgrade from Canon 650D (I also own Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 + Canon 50mm 1.8 + few oldschool lenses) to something better. I also own an old Canon HF100 video camera.

I'm looking for a camera where I could take video and photos of my kids and I want to do in a good quality. Most ideally one device or maybe I should get two?

I didn't do any research for a while and the obvious choice for me was to get 5D Mark III and to use it for video with Magic Lantern and make excellent photos. Then I started doing research and it appeared there are cameras which produce excellent quality videos like Panasonic GH4, Sony A7S without any hacks and then I got confused.

Can you recommend what I should buy there? If it's Mark III, what lenses should I buy? I would be mostly doing videos 70%, 30% - photography.

What I found out so far that a7s does have only one FE lense on price.com.hk... If I want to use other lenses like Canon, I would have to use adapter where AF would be even slower. I understand that for videos you usually want to use manual focusing but maybe the latest cameras like GH4 or A7S does continues AF well with native lenses.

Mark III advantage that I would be doing home videos, so there won't be dedicated lights and since Mark III is full frame camera, it would perform well. What I don't like is the workflow of RAW and it uses tons of space.

By the way, where people in HK sell their used devices? What's website? I tried some classified websites but it had only few Mark III deals.

Thanks for your ideas

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow