Tameron 150-600mm with SONY mount is now available -- but no IS for A7R?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SootyOarsman
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
Tameron 150-600mm with SONY mount is now available -- but no IS for A7R?
3 weeks ago

I had read that the SONY version of this lens was 'sans IS', but I use a tripod and manual focus more often than not. Well, the lens is finally available (my name is on it) and I am suddenly in a quandary. I've read that many photographers are having success with the lens hand held. I realize that using a long lens on the A7R would be like using a bazooka with the camera sort of taped to the back (with the LA-EA4 further complicating the set-up). Shooting from a gimbal head or even a mono-pod is an option (even desirable) for sitting quietly in the field waiting for an Osprey to leave the nest... but I also plan on looking for little birds that live in the thicket (i.e. Towhees). Using the lens hand-held with quick auto focus would be great. I realize it's reasonably priced, and I should probably consider the FE 70-200 for my towhees (heaven knows the crisp 36 Megapixel image can be cropped without penalty). But now we're talking another lens (and another $1,200). Finally (and I know I am exposing my indecision here) this landscape/wildlife photographer only wants to carry one telephoto -- and more than ANY other consideration: it has to be crystal sharp -- corner to corner. I am a patient guy and can capitalize on the A7R's wonderful manual focusing ability... so I'm not deaf to trade-offs... SONY's clever in-camera Image Stabilization has ironically made a mess of all this. Can someone help me out here?

Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow