Tameron 150-600mm with SONY mount is now available -- but no IS for A7R?

Started Sep 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SootyOarsman Forum Member • Posts: 70
Tameron 150-600mm with SONY mount is now available -- but no IS for A7R?

I had read that the SONY version of this lens was 'sans IS', but I use a tripod and manual focus more often than not. Well, the lens is finally available (my name is on it) and I am suddenly in a quandary. I've read that many photographers are having success with the lens hand held. I realize that using a long lens on the A7R would be like using a bazooka with the camera sort of taped to the back (with the LA-EA4 further complicating the set-up). Shooting from a gimbal head or even a mono-pod is an option (even desirable) for sitting quietly in the field waiting for an Osprey to leave the nest... but I also plan on looking for little birds that live in the thicket (i.e. Towhees). Using the lens hand-held with quick auto focus would be great. I realize it's reasonably priced, and I should probably consider the FE 70-200 for my towhees (heaven knows the crisp 36 Megapixel image can be cropped without penalty). But now we're talking another lens (and another $1,200). Finally (and I know I am exposing my indecision here) this landscape/wildlife photographer only wants to carry one telephoto -- and more than ANY other consideration: it has to be crystal sharp -- corner to corner. I am a patient guy and can capitalize on the A7R's wonderful manual focusing ability... so I'm not deaf to trade-offs... SONY's clever in-camera Image Stabilization has ironically made a mess of all this. Can someone help me out here?

SootyOarsman's gear list:SootyOarsman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a77 II Sony Alpha 7R II Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +7 more
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow