A7S, with the amazing low light capabilities, do you need/use a flash!?

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
taz98spin
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?
A7S, with the amazing low light capabilities, do you need/use a flash!?
3 weeks ago

I finally pulled the trigger on the A7S and the SEL70200G! Along with the vertical grip & the Voigtlander close-up adapter for M mount. (grip and adapter already arrived, the camera body & lens are arriving on Wed).

So with the amazing low light capabilities of the A7S, do I need to order a flash as well? I know it hasn't been released yet, but the Metz 64AF-1 looks tempting.. for wedding photography.

Main reason I'm getting the A7S, even though I am fully vested in the Fuji X system is for 2 upcoming large scale weddings. I've shot 3 small weddings (100 guest or less) with the slow as a turtle AF of the X-PRO1 with 3rd party flashes (2 Metz 44AF-1) and triggers. Recently I attended a beach wedding as a guest, so out of professional courtesy to the hired photographer, all I took was the X-T1 & 56/1.2. No flash, no triggers, not even the provided clip-on flash. All the shots outdoors turned out great in the golden hour sunset, but once we moved into the reception hall for dancing, my camera struggled so much in low light and the DJ's strobe lights, I ended up putting the camera away for the rest of the night. I know I could have switched to zone focusing like I often did with my X-PRO1, but I was there to enjoy with the couple's celebration so didn't bother..

Anyways, here is what I'd like to know.

Wedding photographers who have used, or are using the A7S. Is getting a flash for the A7S an overkill?

I will be using the X-T1/X100s with my Metz flashes in conjunction with the A7S. So please give me your thoughts & inputs please!

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
 taz98spin's gear list:taz98spin's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7S +8 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha 7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow