Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jambalawa
Contributing MemberPosts: 718Gear list
Like?
Selling the V3
1 month ago

I've decided its time to either invest further in the platform (ie get a 70-300CX etc) or bail out and I've opted for the latter after much consideration.  The 300/4 via the FT1 just didn't cut it for me for things like keeping BIF etc in focus.

I'd still recommend the platform for a cheaper birding and action (in good light) alternative if you are not a pixel peeper like me.   I know I am a bit to fixed on IQ and I understand photography purists not thinking much of that - but thats my choice I guess!   Don't get me wrong - its a great little fun platform capable of great results.  You only have to look at the likes of some of the posters on this forum to see what it is capable off.

Because my birding is of more larger water birds and I can get pretty close to them I am thinking a D7100 would be better for me at this stage which will be handy with my 300/4.  I miss the DR and high ISO capabilities and a spare DSLR body next to my D800E will be quite valuable to me.

I'd like to see Nikon announce a pro DX body capable of more fps etc but I did own a D7100 and it was a fine camera.

I thought it was a good time to sell if I wasn't going to stick with it as it might still demand a fairly high price due to how it is to get here in Australia - especially with VF and grip etc.

Was a lot of fun tho!  I would keep it if I could afford to and still get the other stuff I'd like!

jambalawa's gear list:jambalawa's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow