Macro photography on a budget (yes another thread :/) ~ a little help please!

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ollyjg
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Macro photography on a budget (yes another thread :/) ~ a little help please!
3 weeks ago

Hi All,

I just wanted to post for a little guidance on some of the options available. I purchased a new A77 a couple of months ago. For lenses I have a Sony 2.8/15-50 kit lense and a big beercan (the minolta 75-300). Given my budget it was little bit of a stretch. So easy to get carried away!!

I would love to do a little macro photography; so, the question? As far as I can see on a budget of around $45-50 nz my options are,

1) bellows/extension tubes

2) A lens reversal collar/mount

3) A really cheap macro lens (another old minolta lens perhaps?)

4) A cheap magnifying 'filter'

I noted on a thread (I believe it was here on dpreview) that reversing a good quality lens is just asking for trouble.. i.e. "saving a few penies at the cost of many pounds". From what I have read, opticaly, the cheap magnifying filter doesnt sound like the best solution either.

All in all I think that narrows my options down to either an extension tube or another piece of old glass.

I was going to purchase one of these;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macro-Extension-Tube-3-Ring-Set-for-Sony-Alpha-A900-A55-A77-A580-Minolta-MA-/321501562582?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item4adafc86d6

however, it just occured to me that I wont be able to control the aperture..!

Is there a work around for this? Even the older beercan I have doesnt have manual aperture control and yet the extension tubes seem to be quite popular. I could of course set the lense aperture in manual mode and remove it whilest the camera is turned on.. but somehow this doesnt sound too healthy for the camera if done repeatedly.

I havent found any AF extension tubes in my budget (a cheap one here but I dont see any electrical contacts on the mount).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AF-Autofocus-Macro-Extension-Tube-Ring-for-Sony-Adapter-Alpha-Minolta-MA-Mount-/301246433665?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item4623afc981

Recomendations on old glass on such a tight budget?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading

ANSWER:
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow