Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,352Gear list
Like?
J4 AF (and probably applies to V3)
4 months ago

I will say this as a reasonable photographer warning- for all the talk on great/superb AF on the Nikon 1, speaking for the J4 (and to some extent with the experience I had, for the V3), the AF while pretty good is not as flawless as I have seen the descriptions of.

With the 30-110 lens you have to be a bit careful or the camera will not focus where it should.  Actually you have to be a bit careful with all lenses because the focus areas are big, but I have seen the 30-110 fail focus a bit on subjects that had areas of focus relatively well covered.

The famous F1.2 prime lens *does not* focus the "instant fast" that other lenses like the 18.5, 10.0mm and the 30-110 do.  If it's close to the focus point it's pretty fast but if not or has to hunt once, it will have an often noticeable lag.

This doesn't make the AF of the J4/V3 bad, it's certainly best in class. But if I thought, say the Sony A6000 matched overall with different pros and cons the J4/V3, now I am much more convinced that is the case.

So what to do- make sure your are of focus is well covered in the camera.  Watch for camera shake (this affects all cameras).  Get used to how each lens affects the AF accuracy.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Nikon 1 J4 Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow