Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,986Gear list
Like?
Community Challenge: Just One Photo in August
4 months ago

Unfamiliar with this challenge? Click here first.

To officially conclude the summer months, I am sure this month's thread will be chock full of warm landscapes and other summer-y activities. As always, feel free to share your one photo, how you made it, and why you picked it. Here we go:

I have somewhat of a love-hate relationship with the panorama software Hugin. It is free, and when everything goes well, it can stitch dozens of images quite fantastically to output quality gigapixel files right down to the pixel level. However, I often run into the problem of the program introducing a gradient across the entire image, where one side is of higher exposure than the other (usually manifesting itself as extremely boosted shadows). I still have not yet found out how to avoid this, as in preview mode the exposure looks uniform across the image.

Still, sometimes the results even from a lot of struggle are at least usable. In this shot, composed of 20 images with the Zeiss Touit 32mm (f/5.6, 1/125, ISO 100), the "HDR" output gave me a relatively even exposure across the image, though if you look closely you can see doubling artifacts in the buildings not present in the other output modes. It's a trade-off for now, I suppose.

Panorama made off the top of the photogenic Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse in Daytona Beach, Florida. I highly recommend putting that on your shortlist after sunrise or before sunset if you ever vacation around Volusia County. I got up to the top of the lighthouse and secured the best spot to catch the sunset an hour before all the other photographers managed their way up the 200+ stairs. Worth the wait:

Sunset Bands

Share away!

matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow