Very poor image quality from G1x MK 2 (in my opinion!)

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Graham Whiles
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?
Very poor image quality from G1x MK 2 (in my opinion!)
3 months ago

I would value people's opinion here on the image quality of the G1X. I'm posting examples of images taken on my relatively new G1X MK 2. I bought the camera a couple of months ago and didn't have time to use it an awful lot until my annual holiday which I returned from a couple of weeks ago. In recent years I've left my DSLR gear at home preferring the lightness and flexibility of a smaller compact camera. The G1X replaced a G15, in the last few years I've also had a G9, G10 an S95 and I have the use of an S120 which my daughter has. The photographs

My perception of image quality is that it is not good. This is only my assessment based upon my own images from my G1X and by no means is it a general statement for all G1X images. On SOOC JPEGS they look way over sharpened and the sharpness in the images looks so obviously manufactured rather being actual clarity. When magnified any fine detail is completely smudged and obliterated. I am posting a couple of samples in this thread of SOOC JPEGS. I'm also posting a dropbox link to the original JPEG files and also the .cr2 RAW files if anyone is interested to download them.

I generally shot in RAW and it would seem that RAW files don’t fare much better. Also below is a screen shot of a .cr2 raw file in the DPP edit window zoomed to 200%. The image looks patchy and has no clarity at all. Sharpening RAW images renders very similar JPEGs to those that come direct from the camera. The finished results look like the product of some cheap P & S camera, certainly not the results one would expect from a premium high end compact. I can’t begin to express how disappointed I am with this camera. I had high hopes that have been completely quashed.

So for those that own the camera what do you make of image quality, my images posted below and general performance?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mzk61s7tl1cv6ku/AADGnfw3cQVKFpePJBCEoPzoa?dl=0

Many thanks in advance of folk reading this post and offering any thoughts/advice/opinions/help !

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow