Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Conjure
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?
entry-level DSLR
4 months ago

I have a very good friend. (Many years ago we did our first Interrail, one month train traveling through Scandinavia together; we both were equipped these days with analog SLRs). He also still is traveling a lot, but now he does movies. He still likes my travel photos very much and so he asked me if I could borrow him my "old" Pentax K-5 (my new Pentax is the K-3). Last month he was traveling in western USA with his family, his movie-camera and my K-5, my DA17-70mm and a used DAL 50-200 which I found for him for 30€. (I did not give him my DA 60-250mm)

His conclusions after 4 weeks with my K-5 (His first DSLR):

1. The image quality blew him away. (He "never was so happy" with his photos!)
  2. He usually used the "A"-Mode. Only if he did not like the exposure he used the "P"-Mode
  3. He used the 50-200 only a few times. (He did not like the Screwdrive-Sound)
  4. He early discovered "LV" and did not use the VF at all. (That was a BIG surprise for me.)
  5. He told me, that next time he would like to take a smaller lens, maybe a prime ("I do not have to zoom if a can crop")
  6. The only thing he really missed was an articulating screen. (Of course his movie cam has one)
  7. The K-5 was not too big for him but a little bit to heavy. (He did not feel comfortable with smaller µ4/3 bodies.)

What would he buy:
A K-S01 (without viewfinder, with articulating screen and with a not too expensive "plastic fantastic" DC 24mm/f2.8 or a cheap version of the DC 20-40mm limited)

Anton

ps.: English is not my first language. I hope my post is understandable.

Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow